8.23.2012

Fiber Rich Banana Bread Recipe (Pregnancy food!)


Well today marks my 12th week of pregnancy and I can now claim that I am entering phase 2!
They say the first trimester is the hardest and is full of not so exciting side effects. Lucky for me, (so lucky!) I have had it really easy! I've totally dodged all of them but the fatigue and a "digestive issue".
Lucky for me there's nothing a little prune juice won't help with (eeew!) and the fatigue wasn't an event either because I stay home and if it strikes all of a sudden, I just retire to the couch and snuggle my pillow. ZzZzzz...  ≠^º

One thing I make sure to get every day in my preggo diet is FIBER!
Today I made a Fiber Rich Banana Bread!
This will help my pregnant digestive system a whole lot! Plus, baking it, filled the house with the fragrance of the long awaited Fall season! I'm in semi-heaven!!



INGREDIENTS:

3 ripe bananas (smashed)
1 cup dried prunes (diced)
1 tablespoon flax seeds (soaked in 1 tablespoon hot water) 
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup coconut oil, softened
1/2 cup honey
1 egg
tablespoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cup all purpose flower


PREPARATION

Preheat your oven to 350º F. Grease the 4x8'' loaf pan.
I prefer to soak the flax seeds in a little bit of water and let stand for 1/2 hour
(1 tbs of flax seed to 1 tbs hot water), this releases fibers and the consistency of the mixture substitutes an egg!
Crush or chop the walnuts so they are about 1/4th of an inch. Dice the prunes to about the same size.




METHOD

In a large mixing bowl smash the bananas real good and add your melted/softened coconut oil.
Mix in the honey, egg, vanilla and flax seed mixture.
Stir in flower, baking soda and salt.
Last, fold in the prunes and walnuts.
Pour mixture into your loaf pan and bake at 350º for 1 hour.


Enjoy!

P.S. yours will probably look way prettier!
I had one extra banana in mine and doubled up on the flax seed mixture just to make sure it was super fiber-ie! :^D








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...